Back

Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, Auf dem Treck

Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, Auf dem Treck Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, Auf dem Treck Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, Auf dem Treck

Select product:

Price:€ 12400.00

Description

'Auf dem Treck' ('On the Trek')   
Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig.

Depicted are Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig and his wife and child. This farmer, who was a resettler from Volhinya, was the subject of several paintings by Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser. At least two works in the GDK depicted him. Another depiction of farmer Gottlieb Ludwig was printed on postcards.

A historical scene depicting the resettlement of Germans from the Baltic and Volhynia /Galicia (East Poland, occupied by the Russians in 1939) into Reichshgau Warthegau (West-Central Poland). In 1940 the SS had expelled 325,000 Poles and Jews from the Wartheland and the Polish Corridor and confiscated their belongings. By 1945 nearly half a million ‘Volksdeutsche’ Germans had been resettled in Warthegau. 

Biggest ethnic cleansing operation in the history of mankind
After the end of World War II almost 14 million German civilians in Eastern and Central Europe were forcibly expelled and deported to (West) Germany. This biggest ethnic cleansing operation in the history of mankind, did not make any distinction between colonists (Rechsdeutsche) and ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche), some of whom had lived there since the 14th century. Estimates are that around two million Germans, civilians as well as prisoners of war, were killed in the first two years after the war.

Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig’. Depicted in the book ‘Vom grossen Treck’, page 67: 'Fremdartig ihre Kleidung und Pelze - ihre Herzen aber Deutsch' ('Strange dressed, but their hearts are German)'. 
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Heim ins Reich‘ (‘Back in Reich‘), GDK 1942, room 27. Bought by Himmler for 12.000 RM. Depicted is Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig.
  


Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig’. GDK 1942, room 30. Bought by the City of Aschaffenburg.
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Bauer Gottlieb Ludwig’ printed on a postcard. 
  

- condition : II   
- size : 118 x 88 cm, unframed 114 x 84 cm 
- signed : right, under
- type : oil on board        
- misc. I : sticker at the back reading 'Auf den Treck'
- misc. II : created 1940/ 1941



Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhauser, ‘Deutsche Umsiedlungsbauern’ (‘German farmer-settlers’). GDK 1944, room 13. In the possession of the German Historical Museum, Berlin (previously in the possession by the US Army Centre of Military History). Depicted in front is Bauer Johann Schick. 
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, 'Johann Schick', drawing, GDK 1941, room28. 
  


Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, 'Letzte Rast vor der deutschen Grenze' ('Last stop before the German border'). Displayed at the ‘Kunstausstellung des Hilfswerkes für deutsche bildende Kunst’, Berlin, 1941. The men in the centre is 'Bauer Johann Schick', the man at the left is farmer Gottlieb Ludwig.
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Der Blick nach Deutschland’ ('The view to Germany'). GDK 1940, room 27.
   


Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Aufbruch‘ (‘Departing‘), 1940. Size: 66 x 51 cm.



Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, Triptychon ‘Der Ruf des Führers’ (‘The Call of the Führer’). GDK 1940, room 27.



Left: Otto Engelhartd-Kyffhäuser, ‘Heimkehr aus Wolhynien’ (‘Return from Volhynia’). GDK 1941, room 31. Bought by Fritz Todt for 5.000 RM.
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Der Blick nach Deutschland’ (‘Looking to Germany’), depicted in the book  ‘Vom Grosses Treck’, page 58. Almost identical to the painting ‘Bauer Johann schick’, GDK 1941, room 28.
  


Left: ‘Heimkehr aus Wolhynien’ ('Returning from Volhynia'). Published in 1941. Illustrations by Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser. The girl depicted on the cover was Marie Eppler from Galicia.
Right: Otto Engehardt-Kyffhäuser. Volhynian girl (Marie Eppler) printed on a stamp of the Generalgouvernement.
  


Other stamps designed by Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, also from first year of the formation of the General Government, day of issue 26  Oktober 1940.
   


Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser. ‘Reichsarbeitsdienst, im Riesengebirge’ 1938 ('Working for the Reich in the Mountains').
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, 'Unterofficier Berner'. Displayed at the GDK 1942, room 30.
  


Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser. ‘Einmarsch in Riga’ (Troops Entering Riga, the capital of Latvia). GDK 1942, room 13. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', 1942.



Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Nach der Flucht der Engländer’ ('After the flight of the English'). GDK 1941, room 13. Depicted is the Battle of Dunkirk, 1940, after the flight of the English forces (the Port of Dunkirk, France, close to the border of Belgium). At the photo of this painting depicted in 'Kunst in Deutschland 1933 - 1945', Mortimer G. Davidson, one can read the name at the stern of this ship: 'Ethel Everard, London'.
 


The 'Ethel Everard', London.
Between 1925 and 1926 Fred T. Everard took delivery of four new steel hulled sailing barges, the largest ever built, which he named Will Everard, Fred Everard, Alf Everard and Ethel Everard (they were built in Great Yarmouth by Fellows & Co). Of these, the Ethel  Everard was abandoned at Dunkirk during the evacuation of the troops in 1940. As part of operation Dynamo, the barge was towed to Dunkirk by tug SunXll loaded with water and provisions along with the sailing barge Tollesbury, and then abandoned on the  beach.
  



Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, 'Motorcycle Messenger'. Postcard based on the exhibition ‘Deutsche Kuenstler und die SS’, an exhibition held in Salzburg in 1944.
Left: The Italian Minister of ‘Volkskultur’ and the German ambassador to Italy, Hans Georg von Mackensen at a German exhibition of war-art in Rome. The painting by Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser can be seen in the background.
  


Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Der unbekannte Soldat des Weltkrieges' ('The Unknown Soldier of the World War'), 1934. Displayed in the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr, Dresden (photo: December 2016).
Right: pre-1945 poster of 'Der unbekannte Soldat des Weltkrieges'. The work was also depicted on postcards.
  


Otto Engelhardt-Kyffäuser, 'Der Kreigsfreiwillige' ('The Volunteer'). Depicted in 'Die Malerei im Deutschen Faschismus', Carl Hanser Verlag, 1974. Displayed at the GDK 1944, room 13, under the name 'Sturm auf Bapaume'. Size: 148 x 120 cm, sold for 10.000 RM.



Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Jetzt! Raus aus dem Graben’ (‘Now! Out of the Trenches’), depicted in ‘Die Kunst im Deutschen Reich’, 1939.
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Frontwege’ (‘Front-roads’), depicted in ‘Die Kunst im Deutschen Reich’, 1939.
  


The Dresdner Kunstausttellung 1935
The Dresdner Kunstaustellung, 29 Juni- September 1935, was an art exhibition organized to showcase art approved by the Nazis. The exhibition held under patronage of Martin Mutschmann, Gauleiter of Saxony from 1925 to 1945, had a ‘Sonderschau Kriegbilder’, a special department with war-depictions. Many war painters known from their depictions of World War I were represented, including: Claus Bergen, Ludwig Dettmann (88 works), Franz Eichhorst, Erich Erler-Samaden (22 works), Fritz Erler (15 works), Erich Fraas, Oskar Graf (32 works), Hans von Hayek (23 works), Anton Hoffmann and Willy Waldapfel.
Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser displayed an astonishing number of 110 works at the exhibition.

Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ’Essenholer im Wytschaetebogen‘ (‘Men carrying food, Battle of Mesen-Wijtschate’), 1917. Displayed at the Dresdner Kunstausstellung 1935.
Right: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ’Sturm’ (‘Raid’), 1918. Displayed at the Dresdner Kunstausstellung 1935.
  



Left: Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Der alte Kämpfer in Russland‘, 1941. Displayed at the ‘Kunstausstellung der SA‘, Dresden, 1942.
Right: Kunstausstellung der SA in Dresden, 1942.
  



Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Im Abschnitt der SS-Polizei-Division’ (‘In the time of the SS-Polizei Division’). GDK 1944, room 13.
The 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division was one of the thirty-eight divisions fielded as part of the Waffen-SS during World War II. The division was formed in 1939 as part of the Ordnungspolizei (uniformed national police). While all German police organizations were controlled by Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler in his capacity as Chief of German Police in the Interior Ministry, they were not at this time considered part of the SS, nor was the Polizei Division on par with the true Waffen-SS Divisions. This status was reflected in the quality of the equipment they were issued and their retention of police insignia and rank structure. The division was transferred to the Waffen-SS in 1942 and was upgraded to a Panzergrenadier division. It fought in France, the Soviet Union, Greece (where it orchestrated the Distomo massacre) and Pomerania and finally surrendered to the Americans in May 1945.


Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, ‘Artern an der Wende älterer und neuerer Zeit‘ (‘Old times and New Times in Artern‘). Monumental painting of 8 x 3,5 meter in the Council Chamber of the City Hall of Artern. Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser was born in this town in the Kyffhäuserkreis district, the northern part of Thuringia. The work, reveiled at 6 October 1929, shows the develop of the city in the 18th century. Kyffhäuser also depicted several notables of the city, like the founder of the iron foundry Paul Reuss, mayor Karl Hühnerbein, the city-historian Gustav Poppe and the banker Hans Büchner. Photo: 2016.




Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, 1945.




  
Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, one of the greatest war painters of the 20th century
Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser (1884-1965), born in Kyffhäuser, was a German painter and art teacher. From 1901 to 1907 he went to the Art Academy in Kassel, and later he studied in Berlin and Weimar. In 1914 he had his first serious exhibition in Darmstadt. During WWI he was Oberfeldjäger and war painter with the troops. He painted in trenches and other positions within the first frontlines. From 1919 to 1939 he worked in Görlitz as a teacher of ‘Artistic Education’ at the Luisenschule. During this period he produced a series of pen-drawings, etchings and paintings. He became a member of the NSDAP and the SS and created several war paintings as well as many portraits of National Socialist leaders. In 1929 Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser created ‘Artern an der Wende älterer und neuerer Zeit‘ (‘Old times and New Times in Artern‘); this monumental painting of 8 x 3,5 meter was placed in the Council Chamber of the City Hall of Artern (Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser was born in Artern, a city in the Kyffhäuserkreis district, the northern part of Thuringia). In 1935 Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser participated in the Dresdner Kunstausstellung with the astonishing number of 110 paintings.
At the request of Himmler, in January 1940 Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser visited Poland and watched the treck (migration) of the Volksdeutschen. Based on the Nazi-Soviet Pact of August 1939, Russia and Germany had divided Poland whereby East Poland was occupied by Russia. Ethnic Germans from East Poland (the regions Galicia and Volhynia) and the Baltics subsequently moved to the Reichsgau Warthegau (West-Central Poland). To make room for the ethnic Germans, in 1940 the SS had expelled more than 325,000 Poles and Jews from the Warthegau and the Polish Corridor and confiscated their belongings. By 1945 nearly half a million ‘Volksdeutsche’ Germans had been resettled in Warthegau. Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser documented the resettlement in a series of drawings and paintings, which were exhibited in Berlin in May 1940. In the same year, Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser, together with Nazi officials Alfred Karasek and Heinrich Kurtz, published ‘Das Buch zum grossen Treck’ (the Book of the Great Trek). The paintings and drawings of Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser served as a basis for the propaganda film ‘Heimkehr’ (Return to the Homeland) by Gustav Ucicky. Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser was represented in the Great German Art Exhibitions with 26 paintings and drawings. Themes in his work include the migration of ethnic Germans, German farmers, portraits of Nazi leaders and war sceneries. Other exhibitions of his works were ‘Rückführung der Deutschen aus Galizien’ in 1940 in Krakow (Poland), ‘Der große Treck’ in 1940 and ‘Mit Mann und Ross und Wagen’ in 1941, both held in Görlitz. In 1941 he exhibited ‘Flandern und die Niederlande’ in the Netherlands. In 1942 he took part in the exhibition 'Kunstausstellung der SA in Dresden', and in 
1944 in the exhibition ‘Deutsche Künstler und die SS’ in Breslau and Salzburg.
Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser died in 1965 in Göttingen.
After the end of the war almost 14 million German civilians in Central and Eastern Europe were forcibly expelled and deported to (West) Germany. This gigantic ethnic cleansing operation did not make any difference between colonists or ethnic Germans, who had lived there since the 14th century. Estimates are that around two million Germans, civilians as well as prisoners of war, were killed in the first two years after the war.
Nowadays, works of Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser can be seen in museums in Görlitz, Bautzen and in the Osthaus Museum in Hagen. The city hall of Artern also possesses a wall painting by Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser. Currently the U.S. Army Centre of Military History in Washington D.C. still owns the following works by Otto Engelhardt-Kyffhäuser: ‘Assault At Armentiers’, 1939, and 'French Volunteer In Waffen SS’, 1944. The German Historical Museum is in the possession of ‘Deutsche Umsiedlungsbauern’ (GDK 1944 room 13), ‘Der Treck in den Karpaten’ (‘The Trek to the Carpathians’), ‘Im Abschnitt der SS-Polizei-Division’ (GDK 1944 room 13, ‘In the Time of the SS-Police-Division’) and ‘Portrait eines verwundeten deutschen Soldaten’ (‘Portrait of a wounded German Soldier).