Back

Karl Walther, Blick in die Weinstrasse beim Donisl

Karl Walther, Blick in die Weinstrasse beim Donisl Karl Walther, Blick in die Weinstrasse beim Donisl Karl Walther, Blick in die Weinstrasse beim Donisl

Select product:

Price:
Price:

Description

'Blick in die Weinstrasse beim Donisl', München Zentrum
('View at the Weinstrasse near Donisl', Munich, Center)
Created in 1943.


The building depicted at the right is the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) located at the Marienplatz, the central square in the city centre of Munich. The construction of the New City Hall was completed between 1867 and 1874; it is the seat of the mayor’s office, the city council, and the headquarters of the city administration. The Marien-platz has been the city's main square since 1158. The New City Hall survived the bombings in World War II.
Donisl is a traditional Bavarian restaurant located at Weinstrasse 1. Its history reaches back to 1315; originally, it was built as a grain measurer’s house. In 1715, Max List opened his Bierwirtschaft am Markt (pub on the market), making Donisl the the second oldest restaurant in Munich. In World War II, the building in the Weinstraße 1 was completely destroyed. Reconstruction took place in the 50s.


The painting is depicted in 'Karl Walther, 1905-1981, Leben und Werk'. The text below the photo reads: 'Size and location unknown'.



- condition : II                    
- size : 80 x 69 cm, unframed 60 x 50
- signed : right, under. Created in 1943
- type : oil on canvas                      





Left: Karl Walther, ‘Platz beim Zeughaus Berlin’, (‘Near the Zeughaus in Berlin’, location Unter den Linden). GDK 1940, room 5. Bought by Hitler for 2.500 Reichsmark.
Right: Karl Walther, ‘Kaufingerstrasse in München’, (‘Kaufingerstreet in Munich’). GDK 1941, room 5. Bought by Hitler for 4.000 Reichsmark.
  


Karl Walther, ‚‘Isar Tor‘. This work, depicting the Isar Tor ('Isar Tower') in Munich, was displayed at the GDK 1943, room 32.



Karl Walther working on the ‘Isar Tor‘. 
The pictures are from the film 'Art in the Third Reich', part III (at 3.05).
    


Left: Karl Walther, ´Naumburger Dom´. GDK 1939, room 33. The painting, bought by Adolf Hitler, hung for several years in the New Reich Chancellery. Sold by a German auktion house in 2013.
Right: Karl Walther, ‘Die Alte Mainbrücke’, Würzburg (‘The Old Main-bridge’), created in 1944. In the possession of the ‘Museum im Kulturspeicher’, Würzburg.
    


Left: Karl Walther, ‘Der Kürschnerhof’, Würzburg, created in 1944. In the possession of the ‘Museum im Kulturspeicher’, Würzburg.
Right: Karl Walther, ‘Der obere Markt mit Falkenhaus und Marienkapelle’, Würzburg, created in 1944.  im Jahr 1944, gemalt von Karl Walther. In the possession of the ‘Museum im Kulturspeicher’, Würzburg.
  


Left: Karl Walther, München, ‘Karlstor’.
Right: Karl Walther, München 1943, ‘Viktualienmarkt’.
  


Karl Walther’, ‘Portrait of a Man’ (or ‘Woldemar Sacks’). Depicted in ‘The Pittsburg Press’ (Pennsylvania), 18 October 1931. Displayed at the International Exhibition of the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh, 1931. Also depicted in ‘Karl Walther, Werk und Werden eines Impressionisten’, 1948, and in ‘Karl Walther, Leben und Werk’, 1995.



Karl Walther, 'Alte Mainbrücke mit Nadelwehr' ('The Old Main-bridge with Needl Weir'). Size 146 x 115 cm. With other paintings by Walther -depicting Würzburg- in the possession of the Museum im Kulturspeicher, 'Würzburg.



Left: Karl Walther, Berlin, ‘Der Mühlendamm zu Berlin’, 1932.
Right: Karl Walther, ‘Alt Berlin’, 1938. In possession of the Museum der Bildende Künste, Leipzig.
  


Left: Karl Walther, ‘Waldstrasse in Leipzig’, GDK 1937, room 12.
Right: Karl Walther, ‘Thomaskirche in Leipzig‘ (‘St. Thomas Church in Leipzig‘). GDK 1938, room 32. Bought by Hitler for 3.500 RM. Depicted in ‘Die Kunst für alle’, 1942.
  


Karl Walther, 'Würzburg, -Mariënbrücke mit Föhnwolke' ('Würzburg, -Mariënbridge with Föhn-clouds'), created in 1930.



Karl Walther, 'Sendliger Tor in München' ('Sendliger-portal in Munich'). GDK 1943, room 5. Bought by Hitler for 4.750 Reichsmark. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', August, 1943.





Karl Walther, painter of beatiful German cities before their destruction
Karl Walther (1905 -1981), born in Zeitz (Saxony), was a painter of the late-impressionist style. Following a lithographer apprenticeship, Walther studied music (1920) and then painting (1925) at the Academy of Visual Arts Leipzig with Heinz Dörffel and Fritz Ernst Rentsch. In Leutzsch (Leipzig) Walther had his first studio. Walther had his first solo exhibition in September 1926 at the gallery of Heinrich Barchfeld in Leipzig, followed by an exhibition at the gallery of Victor Hartberg in Berlin in the same year, and at the Berlin Secession in 1928. In 1932 he received the Albrecht Dürer price. International exhibitions followed in the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh in 1931, 1935 and at the XXI Venice Biennale in 1938. Painting stays abroad led him to Lake Lugano, Florence, Tuscany, Paris and Amsterdam. In 1940 Walther moved from Leipzig to Munich and in 1943 to Seeshaupt at the Lake Starnberg.
His works included portraits, still life, city views and landscapes but the majority of his paintings were architectural views and old cities. Many of his paintings show beautiful German cities before they were destroyed in the Second World War. He returned to every place he painted two or three times in order to assess the right incidence of light. He did not paint the cities in an ideal form, or in a timeless state, or in detail. He pictured them realistically, as if they were pure and always without a political coloration.
Twenty-eight of his paintings hung in the Great German Art Exhibitions. Hitler bought 7 of them. Other buyers were also Adolf Wagner, Martin Bormann and other Gauleiters and nazi-instutitions. In March 2013 a painting by Karl Walther depicting the Naumburg Cathedral was sold for 23.000 Euro at a German Auction. This work was bought by Hitler for 3.500 Reichsmark at the Great German Art Exhibition in 1939; it hung in the Reich Chancellery for several years.
Karl Walthers talent and his success during the Great German Art Exhibitions, preserved him for a long time from the conscription to the Wehrmacht. Until mid-1944, after having completed a number of Würzburg-views at the invitation of Prof. Heinrich Dikreiter (Founder of the Municipal Gallery of Würzburg), Walther was exempted from military service. Finally, on September 1, 1944, Walther was called up to military service and served in Northern Italy, where he fell into British captivity.
After WWII Walther created many pictures of the destroyed city of Munich. In the summer of 1947, his paintings were exhibited at the Würzburg city hall, in 1950, Walther again participated in the International Carnegie Exhibition in Pittsburgh. He was a member and vice president of the Munich Artists' Association for a long time and participated in their annual exhibitions. In 1976, he created his last paintings in Berlin.
Nowadays paintings of Karl Walther are displayed in galleries and museums in Bayreuth, Chemnitz, Köln (15), Leipzig, Mannheim, München, Nürnberg, Stettin, Stuttgart and Würzburg (Museum im Kulturspeicherr). The German Historical Museum in Berlin is in the possession of 'Platz beim Zeughaus Berlin' and 'Kaufingerstrasse in München'. The Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen owns 'Allee im Spätsommer' and 'Waldweg.