Back

Hans Lehmkuhl, Steinbrücke

Hans Lehmkuhl, Steinbrücke Hans Lehmkuhl, Steinbrücke Hans Lehmkuhl, Steinbrücke

Select product:

Price:€ 1200.00

Description

'Steinbrücke', Neues Schloss Herrenchiemsee
Stonebridge, Herrenchiemsee palace on the island Herreninsel

This painting was made between 1910 and 1914, when Hans Lehmkuhl was travelling together with Julius Exner to Feldwies at the Chiemsee (see hereunder). On the bridge one can see the
statue of Saint John of Nepomuk. John of Nepomuk is considered the first martyr of the Seal of the Confessional, a patron against calumnies and, because of the manner of his death, a protector from floods.

John of Nepomuk, photo: 2013. Restored and displayded in the Augustine Abbey of Herrenchiemsee at Herreninsel (the Old Castle).


- condition : II                    
- size : 82 x 67 cm, unframed 70 x 54 cm
- signed : left, under
- type : oil on canvas                                         
- misc. : professional cleaned and reframed

 





  


     
Hans Lehmkuhl, 'Eva Braun, wife of Adolf Hitler'. Depicted in 
the Daily Mail, 20 February 2014. This portrait, painted in 1941, was in the possession of Eva Braun until 1943 when she gave it away to her friend Gräfin F. Eva Braun also posed for the painter Theodor Bonemeyer in Bad Tolz (as the ‘return’ birthday gift to Hitler).


Left: Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Ludwig Quidde‘, German Nobel Prize Winner, 1927. In the possession of the Focke Museum, Bremen.
Right: Hans  Lehmkuhl, ‘Reichspräsident Paul von Hindenburg im Frack’, 1932. Lehmkuhl was the last painter to get permission to paint the Reichspräsident. The work was commisioned by the 'Vereins Deutscher Studenten'.
  



Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Gisy Schretter’, Millstad am See, 1944.



Left: Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Bildnis Baronin von Maltzahn’ (‘Portrait of Baroness Von Maltzahn’). GDK 1939, room 26.
Right: Adolf Hitler visiting the GDK 1939. Next to Hitler the italian minister of propaganda Dino Alfrieri; behind him Gerdie Troost (with her back towards the camera), Joseph Goebbels, Konstantin Freiherr von Neurath. On the background the portrait of Baronin von Maltzahn.  
  


Left: Hans Lehmkuhl working on a triptychon, 1939. Depicted in the Bremer Zeitung, 19 March, 1943. Notice the panel right on the photo (‘Hitler Youth Drummer’).
Right: ‘Hitler Youth Drummer‘, signed 1939. Depicted in ‘Die Kunst im Dritten Reich‘, by Mortimer G. Davidson, 1991.
  

Left: Hans Lehmkuhl, 'Herbst' ('Autumn'), 1939. GDK 1939 room 28.
Right: Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Adolf Hitler‘, signed 1937. Painting in the possession of the International Museum of World War II in Boston.  Supposedly it had hung in the Reichsluftfahrtministerium, Berlin.
  


Hans Lehmkuhl, ‚‘Deutsche Erntesegen‘ (‘German Harvest-blessing‘). GDK 1940 room 24, bought by Martin Bormann for 3.500 euro. The painting was hung in Hotel Platterhof at the Obersalzberg.


Left: Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Admiral Jeffs’, U.S. Land Commissioner for Bremen, 1950.
Right: Hans Lehmkuhl, ‘Bundespräsident Theodor Heuss‘, Bremen, 1950.
 


  

Hans Lehmkuhl, painter of:
Adolf Hitler, Eva Braun, Paul von Hindenburg, Philip Bouhler, Werner von Blomberg and Ludwig Quidde.
Johannes Hans Ludwig Lehmkuhl (1883–1969), born in Bremen, was a popular landscape and portrait painter of highly placed politicians and military officers. He studied from 1910 to 1914 in Munich at the Akademie der bildenden Künste under the professors Von Habermann, Angelo Jank, Hermann Gröber and Ludwig von Herterich. In that period he travelled with Julius Exter to Feldwies, at the Chiemsee, to paint landscapes (such as Stonebridge near Herrenchiemsee palace). During World War I he served as Lieutenant of the 9 Bayrischen Feld-Artillerie Regiment Landsberg, stationed in France. In 1916 he was promoted to Oberleutnant Chef der Batterie and awarded by the Kaiser with the Eisernen Kreuz Erster Klasse (Iron Cross I). Lehmkuhl was severely wounded and stayed at a hospital in Munich for one and a half years. In 1920 he continued his studies in Munich. In 1922, in Munich, he painted several German officers, including Lieutenant Philipp Bouhler, the later Reichsleiter, Chief of the Chancellery of the Führer of the NSDAP and SS-Obergruppenführer (directly reporting to Adolf Hitler).
In 1923 Lehmkuhl went back to Bremen and in 1927 he moved to Berlin. In 1930 he painted
Ludwig Quidde, the German Nobel Prize Winner of 1927; this painting now hangs in the Focke Museum in Bremen (Quidde never bought the painting, because he did not have the money for it). In 1932, Lehmkuhl was the last painter to get permission to paint the Reichspräsidenten Paul von Hindenburg (in dress-coat), a work commisioned by the German Association of Students. In 1936 Lehmkuhl received the order from the Oberste Heeresleitung (Surpeme Army Command) to paint a four-meter-high painting of Adolf Hitler. In the same year he was asked again by the Oberste Heeresleitung to paint Werner von Blomberg, the German Generalfeldmarschalland minister of war. He not only had direct access to Philippe Bouhler, but also to other Nazi top-leaders such as Martin Bormann, the Private Secretary of Adolf Hitler and Head of the Party Chancellery. In 1939 Lehmkuhl created a triptychon (name unknow) of which the right panel depicted a ‘Hitler Youth Drummer'; the triptych was partially depicted in the Bremer Zeitung of 19 March 1943.
In 1941 he painted Eva Braun. During the war he created 5 large works depicting themes from 'Oraginisation Todt'. At the 'Dresdner Kunstausstellung der SA' in 1942, Lehmkuhl was represented with 'Wacht im Osten', a work depicting a German infantryman in a snowstorm. 'Wacht in Osten' was bought by the 'Oberste SA-Leitung' before the opening of the exhibition.
Belonging to the Münchener Malertradition, Lehmkuhl had paintings shown at the Great German Art Exhibitions in München from 1939 to 1940. ‘Deutsche Erntesegen‘ (‘German Harvest-blessing‘), GDK 1940 room 24, was bought by Martin Bormann for 3,500 Reichsmark; this work was hung in Hotel Platterhof at the Obersalzberg. On the recommendation of his friend Philippe Bouhler, Lehmkuhl later was given the title of Professor by Adolf Hitler, for 'very good presentations in the painting of portraits.'
Lehmkuhl was not a member of the NSDAP.

After World War II
In 1946 Hans Lehmkuhl portrayed many American officers and senior politicians. In 1947 he was asked to create ten American landscape pictures of 4 x 2 metres for the Amerikanische Messehalle in the Haus des Reichs. In 1950 he portrayed General
Lucius D. Clay, General Karting and Rear Admiral Charles Richardson Jeffs, the Militärgouverneur and Landeskommissar der USA in Bremen. In the same year he painted ‘Bundespräsident Theodor Heuss‘ in Bremen.
Hans Lehmkuhl died in 1969 in Bremen.