Back

Georg Müller, Rossebändiger und Amazone

Georg Müller, Rossebändiger und Amazone Georg Müller, Rossebändiger und Amazone Georg Müller, Rossebändiger und Amazone

Select product:

Price:€ 9000.00

Description

Georg Müller, 'Rossebändiger': Great German Art Exhibition 1937, room 28
Georg Müller, 'Amazone': Great German art Exhibition 1939 room 29 and 1943, room 36

Müller was a master at creating compositions consisting of an animal with a human being. The difficulty of synthesizing animals and humans in a piece of art has been brilliantly overcome in the Rossebändiger and Amazone, two statues that perfectly capture the dynamic movement. 
  


Georg Müller, ‘Amazone’. X-Ray photo’s (indirect lost-wax casting process).
  


Left: Georg Müller, 'Rossebändiger', postcard. Verlag Fotostockel, Hannover.
Right: Georg Müller, 'Rossebändiger und Amazone', depicted in the magazine ‘Kunst dem Volk’, October 1942.
  


Left: Georg Müller, 'Rossebändiger'. Depicted in 'Die Kunst im Deutschen Reich', Juli 1939.
Right: Georg Müller, ‘Rossebändiger, sculpture in the Haus der Deutschen Kunst’). Depicted in the magazin ‘Jugend’, 1937, page 498. 
  


Left: Georg Müller, 'Amazone'. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', 1938.
Right: Georg Müller, 'Rossebändiger'. Depicted in 'Velhagen & Klasing', Monatshefte, 1938.
  

            

'Rossebändiger' ('Horse Tamer')

- condition : II
- size : height 28 cm (excl. base of 3 cm), lenght 32 cm 
- signed : at the foot
- type : bronze               


'Amazone' ('Amazone')

- condition : II                    
- size : height 26,5 cm (excl. base of 3 cm), lenght 30 cm 
- signed : at the foot 
- type : bronze             





George Müller, ‘Junger Mann‘ (‘Young man‘). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1930. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', December, 1938.
    


Left: Georg Müller, 'Pferdestudie', high-relief depicted in the magazin ‘Jugend‘, 1943.
Right: Georg Müller, 'Pferdestudie, Modell für die Walhalla', GDK 1938, room 20 (right on the picture).
      


Left: George Müller, ‘Zukunft‘ (‘Future‘). Displayed at the GDK 1941, room 36.
Right: Georg Müller, ‘Kämpfer‘ (‘Fighter‘). GDK 1941, room 29. Later, in 1943, also displayed under the name ‘Bereit‘ (‘Ready‘) in the ‘Ausstellung Münchener  Kunstler‘, Maximilianeum.
  


Left and mid: Georg Müller, ‘Schusterbrunnen’ (‘Fountain of the Shoemaker’), 1914. Located in the centre of City of Pirmasens, well known for its shoe-industry. The plastermodel was displayed at the exhibition ‘Münchner Kunst’ in the Neue Pinakothek, 1935 (‘Sonderausstellung’ on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the ‘Neue Münchner Secession’).
Right: later the plastermodel was again displayed at the GDK 1939 room 27, under the name ‘Arbeiter’ (‘Workman’).
     


Georg Müller, 'World War I Memorial' (later WWI and WWII Memorial), revealed on May 22, 1927. City of Ansbach, Johannis-kirche, photo: 2014. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', December, 1938.
  


Left: Georg Müller, 'Brunnenfigur am Possartplatz', Munich, 2014 (in 1964 renamed into: Shakespeareplatz). Statue displayed at GDK 1939, room 11. Also displayed at the Münchener Kunstausstellung 1942, Maximilianeum. Material: Kirchheimer Muschelkalk.
Right: Georg Müller, 'Brunnenfigur am Possartplatz', depicted in 'Kunst dem Volk' 1942 (and also printed on the cover). Also depicted in 'Die Kunst', December 1938 (on 2 pages and the cover). 
  


Bust of Goethe
Left: Georg Müller, Bust of Goethe, GDK 1940. Bought by Adolf Hitler for 1,000 RM. Depicted in 'Jugend, 1938, number 5; ‘Zu Goethe’s Geburtstag‘. The text below the photo reads: ‘Goethe-Büste, Ausgeführt für Architekt Paul Ludw. Troost’ (‘Bust of Goethe, commissioned by architect Paul Ludwig Troost’). Also depicted in 'Kunst dem Volk,'1942. Also displayed at the Münchener Kunstausstellung, Maximilianeum, 1938.




Monastery of Hohenfurt (Vyssi Brod), Czech Republic
At the end of WWII, several stolen art collections -and 46 paintings and 30 statues from Hitler’s private contemporary art collection- were hidden by the National Socialists in the Monastery of Hohenfurt (Vyssi Brod), near Linz in the Czech Republic. After the war, valuable art, such as pieces from the Mannheimer- and Rothschild collections, were confiscated by the U.S. Army and taken to the Munich Central Collection Point in an effort to return them to their original owners. Many less valuable works, like contemporary German Nazi-art works, were left behind after the 1945 liberation of Czechoslovakia and ended up scattered across the country.
The Goethe-bust by Georg Müller was one of the 30 sculptures in the Monastery of Hohenfurt; the work is lost.
In 2012 sixteen paintings by German artists -that Adolf Hitler personally purchased during WWII- were found in various Czech institutions. Seven were discovered in the Zákupy Chateau, the site where items from confiscated castles, chateaus and private houses were gathered after the war. Seven other canvases were found at the convent of Premonstratensian Sisters in Doksany, near Prague. Two paintings were found at the Military Institute in Prague and at the Faculty of Law of Charles University in Prague. All the sixteen paintings are now in the possession of the ‘Czech National Institute for the Protection and Conservation of Monuments and Sites’. They will remain in the Czech Republic.


The Goethe-bust by Georg Müller (left) as it was found in 1945 in the Czech Republic (Monastery of Hohenfurt). Photo: 'Hitlerova Sbirka v Cechach', by Jiri Kuchar.



Left: Georg Müller, 'Boxer Antonio', displayed at the 'Münchener Kunstausstellung 1932 im Deutschen Museum'. Depicted in the official exhibition catalogue. 
Right: Georg Müller, ‘Relief of Hermann v. Schmid’, a folk poet. Displayed at the ‘Münchener Kunstausstelllung 1942, Maximilianeum. Depicted in ‘Die Kunst’, 1942. 
     


Georg Müller, ‘Eva‘ or 'Schreitende', created in 1929. Bronze, height 90 cm. 
Left: displayed under the name 'Eva' at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung 1929 in the Glaspalast, and at the Münchener Kunstausttellung 1939, Maximilianeum. In the possession of the Neue Pinakothek, München.
Right: depicted under the name 'Schreitende' in the magazine 'Jugend', 1939.
  



'Il compositore Max Regler'
Georg Müller, ‘Komponist Max Reger’ (‘Composer Max Reger’), 1930, Staatgalerie München. Bronze, height 39 cm. Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1931 and saved from the fire; again displayed at the 'Münchener Kunst Sonder Ausstellungen' 1935 in the Neue Pinakothek and at the Great German Art Exhibition in 1937, room 2, and at the XXII Bienalle in Vienna, 1940, under the name 'Il compositore Max Reger'. The bust is now in the possession of the Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen, apparently still with traces of the Glaspalast fire. Depicted in 'Die Kunst', October, 1931.




Friedrich List or Max Reger in the Walhalla?
In 1948 Fritz Kölle was commissioned by the Bavarian Ministry of Culture to create a bust of the leading 19th-century German-American economist Friedrich List. The bust was destined to be placed in the Regensburger Walhalla Memorial, the Hall of Fame that honors laudable and distinguished people, famous personalities in German history - politicians, sovereigns, scientists and artists of the German tongue. The Hall is housed in a neo-classical building above the Danube River, east of Regensburg, in Bavaria, Germany. It was conceived in 1807 by Crown Prince Ludwig, who built it upon ascending the throne of Bavaria as King Ludwig I. Construction took place between 1830 and 1842, under the supervision of architect Leo von Klenze. The memorial displays some 65 plaques and 130 busts of persons, covering 2,000 years of history - the earliest person honored is Arminius, victor at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9 AD).
Kölle produced a plaster model which was approved by the Director of the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen. However, before he created the model in marble, a debate started about his role in the Third Reich, and hence his contract was canceled. Under time pressure, the decision was made to place a bust of Max Reger in the Walhalla, instead of Friedrich List. In the Munich atelier of Georg Müller, a pre-war plaster bust of Max Reger was found. Müller used this as a model to create a marble bust, which was placed nine months later in the Walhalla. Georg Müller had previously used the same plaster bust as an original model for the bronze bust of Max Reger. That bronze bust had been displayed in 1931 in the Glaspalast, in 1935 in the Neue Pinakothek, in 1937 at the Great German Art Exhibition and in 1940 at the XXII Bienalle in Vienna. The bronze Reger bust is currently in the possession of the Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen (apparently with traces of the Glaspalast fire); the marble Reger still has its place in the Regensburger Hall of Fame.
Up until now, a bust of Friedrich List has never been placed in the Walhalla.

Left: Georg Müller, ‘Jahnbüste‘. Marble bust of 19th century nationalist Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (1778 - 1852), placed in 1928 in the Walhalla, Regensburg. Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung 1929 in the Glaspalast. A similar bust which was displayed at the GDK 1938, room 20, was probably made of clay.
Right: Georg Müller, 'Bust of Max Reger'. In 1948, on the occasion of his 75 birthday anniversary, this marble bust of composer Max Reger was placed in the Walhalla, Regensburg.
     


The Walhalla, Regensburg, 2015.
Left, under: Georg Müller, 'Friedrich Ludwig Jahn'.
Right, under: Georg Müller, 'Max Reger'. Left from Müller, Anton Brückner.



On June 6, 1937, the bust of Anton Brückner by Munich sculptor Adolf Rothenburger, was placed in the Walhalla. Hitler was present at the ceremony since Bruckner was -like Wagner- one of his favorite composers, and one with whom he shared an upper Austrian heritage. Joseph Goebbels used this occasion to present a speech which skillfully linked Bruckner's life and work to the National Socialist aganda of creating ‘German Art‘.




Georg Müller, 'Bust of Max Reger', a plastermodel, displayed in 2017 in the 'Militärhistorisches Museum, Dresden'.   
  



Left: Georg Müller, ‘Männliche Figur’ (‘Man-figur’). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1925. 
Right: Georg Müller, ‘Männliches Portrait‘ (‘Man-portrait‘), bronze, created 1924. Height 49 cm. Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1924. In the possession of the Neue Pinakothek, München (the model for the sculpture was Josef Sugar). Also depicted in 'Die Kunst im Dritten Reich', 1939. 
  


Left: Georg Müller, 'Weibliche Figur', GDK 1937 room 8.
Right: 14 Juli 1937, Adolf Ziegler (right on the photo) during a pre-view of the GDK. At the background, between the men, Georg Müllers 'Weibliche Figur'.
  


Left: Georg Müller, ‘Männliche Figur’ (‘Man-figur’). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1925. 
Right: Georg Müller, ‘Männliches Portrait‘ (‘Man-portrait‘). Displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1924. In the possession of the Neue Pinakothek, München (the model for the sculpture was Josef Sugar). Also depicted in 'Die Kunst im Dritten Reich', 1939.
 


Left and middle: Georg Müller, ‘Bärenbrunnen’ (‘Bear-fountain’), 1936, Elisabethplatz, Munich. The inscription ‘Des Menschen Seele gleicht dem wasser‘ (‘The human souls is like water‘) is the first sentence of Goethe poem ‘Gesang der Geister über dem Wasser‘. Other inscriptions on the ‘Kirchheimer-shell-limestone’ are: ‘Alle kommt zum Quell‘, ‘Korn gibt Brot‘, ‘Alles Leben fließt‘, ‘Wasser macht die Augen heil‘, ‘Traubensaft gibt Kraft‘, ‘Froh und munter auf und runter‘, ‘Raub macht Durst‘. The stone is decorated with figures of people, and animals like a bear, a duck, a fox, a fish and a lobster. Photos taken in recent years.
Right: ‘Bärenbrunnen’, depicted in ‘Die Kunst’, 1938 and 1942, as well as in ‘Kunst dem Volk’, 1942.
       


Full text of Goethe’s ‘Gesang der Geister über dem Wasser‘:



Left: Georg Müller, ‘Badende‘ (‘Bathing‘), executed in silver. Displayed at the Internationale Kunstausstellung der Münchener Secession, 1911. Depicted in the official exhibition catalogue of 1911. Later displayed (in bronze) at the GDK 1940, room 36. 
Middle: 'Badende', depicted in 'Velhagen & Klasings', Monatshefte, 1915/16.
Right: 'Badende', executed in iron. Depicted in the 'Jahrbuch der Münchner Kunst', 1918.
       


Georg Müller, ‘Zwergbrunnen‘ (‘Dwarf-fountain‘), 1924, Munich (Feldmoching). The fountain, designed by Georg Müller, is placed in front of the Memorial for the fallen solders in WWI, WWII and for the 14 million expelled German civilians. Immediately behind this Memorial, there is another War Memorial of 1897, commemorating the fallen solders in the 1866, 1870 and 1871 (War of German reunification).
  



Catalogue of the ‘Münchener Kunst Sonder Ausstellungen‘, in the Neue Pinakothek, 1935. No less then 15 works by Georg Müller were displayed at this ‘Sonderausstellung’ (on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the ‘Neue Münchner Secession’). Again also the bust of Max Reger was shown, accompanied with the tekst: ‘Saved from the fire in the Glaspalast’.



Georg Müller, ‘Kreuztragungsgruppe’ (‘Carrying the Cross’), 1911. Monumental work of nine meters high, located at the Ostfriedhof in Munich (Munich Graveyard).
 


Left: Georg Müller, ‘Silen’. In Greek mythology, Silenus was a companion and tutor to the wine god Dionysus. Displayed at the Internationale Kunstausstellung der Münchner Secession, Kgl. Kunstausstellungsgebäude am Königsplatz, Oktober 1911. Bought by the State of Bavaria.
Right: 'Silen' offered in December 2016. Bronze, height 55 cm, weight 12 kg.
  


Georg Müller, painted by Leo Samberger. Depicted in 'Münchner Kunstler Köpfe', 1937. The painting is in the possession of the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen. 






Georg Müller
Georg Müller (1880-1952) sun of a cabinet maker and woodcarver, was born in Munich. His family went to the United Sates when he was six years old. In 1896 he began his study of art in the studio of an American sculptor. When he was twenty he stayed some time in France (1900/1901) and visited the Paris World Exhibition. It was at that time he defenitly decided to become a sculptor. Müller studied at art academies in Chicago (1903/1904) as a student of M. von Mauch, and in Munich (1902/1903 and 1904/1906) under the guidance of Professor Von Rümann. After his studies he settled in Munich where he became a member of the ‘Münchner Secession’.
His first bronze statue ‘Silen’ was exhibited in the Internationale Kunstaussttellung der Münchner Secession, Kunstausstellungsgebäude am Königsplatz, 1911. It was bought by the State of Bavaria. At that time Müller created several smaller sculptures ('Badende'), but he finished his first monumental work in 1911: 'Die Kreuztragungsgruppe’, nine meters high, which he designed for the Munich Graveyard (Münchener Ostfriedhof). Two years later he received a Golden Medal at the International Exhibition in Munich. Other huge monumental works followed, including ‘Schusterbrunnen’ in Pirmasens (1914), ‘Brunnen an der Possartplatz’ in Munich (in 1964 renamed into 'Shakespeareplatz'), the war memorial in Memmingen and the extraordinary, prizewinning war memorial of 1927 in Ansbach: the famous naked horseman wearing a Stahlhelm and brandishing a broken sword. The original modell of 1926 for this monument, 'Pferdestudie für die Walhalla', was displayed in the Glaspalast in 1927, in the GDK in 1938 and in the Münchener Kunstaustellung 1940, Maximilianeum. 
For the Deutsches Museum Müller created busts of Johann Kunkel and Robert Koch. For the 'Walhalla' in Regensburg he created a bust of 19th century nationalist Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (displayed at the GDK 1938, room 20). In the GDK 1940 he displayed a large bust of Goethe, which was bought by Adolf Hitler for 1,000 RM (originally commisioned by Paul Ludwig Troost). The bust ‘Komponist Max Reger’ (‘Composer Max Reger’) was displayed at the Grosse Münchener Kunstausstellung in the Glaspalast, 1931 and saved from the fire; again displayed at the 'Münchener Kunst Sonder Ausstellungen', 1935, in the Neue Pinakothek and at the Great German Art Exhibition in 1937, room 2, and at the XXII Bienalle in Vienna, 1940, under the name 'Il compositore Max Regler'. The bust is now in the possession of the Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen, apparently still with traces of the Glaspalast fire.
At the exhibition ‘Münchner Kunst’ in the Neue Pinakothek, Munich, 1935, no less then 15 works by Georg Müller were displayed (‘Sonderausstellung’ on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the ‘Neue Münchner Secession’), including the original plastermodel of the Schusterbrunnen.
In the Great German Art Exhibitions Müller was represented with 16 sculptures. Among them were 'Rossebändiger', 'Amazone' (in 1939 as well as in 1943), the bust of Goethe, the bust of Composer Max Reger, the bust of scientist Emil von Behring, the bust of Friedrich Ludwig Jahn, the bronze sculpture from the Schusterbrunnen ('Arbeiter') and the 'Brunnenfigur from the Possartplatz' in Munich. Müller took part in exhibitions in Rome, Florence and Tokyo. At the XXII Venice Biennale 1940 he was represented with 4 works. 
From 1943 to 1944 he was professor -as replacement for Joseph Wackerle- at the Munich Art Academy. Georg Müller died in 1952 in Munich.
Two busts of Georg Müller are currently on display in the ‘Walhalla’ in Regensburg. The above mentioned marble bust of the 19th century nationalist Friedrich Ludwig Jahn, is since 1928 located in the Walhalla (the Jahnbust displayed at the GDK 1938, room 20, was probably a gips model). And in 1948 -on the occasion of his 75 birthday anniversary- a marble bust by Georg Müller of the composer Max Reger was placed in the Walhalla. The Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen is in the possession of six works by Georg Müller, including the bust of Josef Sugar, displayed in the Glaspalast 1925.