Back

Franz Triebsch, Hindenburg in Black Tie with Hindenburgstar

Franz Triebsch, Hindenburg in Black Tie with Hindenburgstar Franz Triebsch, Hindenburg in Black Tie with Hindenburgstar Franz Triebsch, Hindenburg in Black Tie with Hindenburgstar

Select product:

Price:€ 18500.00

Description

‘Hindenburg in Black Tie with Hindenburgstar’ ('Hindenburgstern').
Created 1925.

The Hindenburgstern, awarded only twice, over a century apart

The ‘Star of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross’, or ‘Stern zum Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes‘ or ‘Hindenburgstern‘, was the highest military decoration of the Kingdom of Prussia and the German Empire. It was considered a senior decoration to the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. The Star of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to the most outstanding of generals who performed feats of leadership to the extreme benefit of the German state. It was awarded only twice, over a century apart, to Field Marshal Von Blücher in 1813 and to Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg on March 25, 1918. Von Blücher's award was referred to as the Blücherstern while Hindenburg's was known as the Hindenburgstern. During the reign of Nazi Germany, it was intended to present the Star of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross as an award to the most successful German General of the Second World War, once Germany had achieved victory. As Germany was defeated in 1945, the decoration was never bestowed under Nazi authority and has not been awarded since.
The Hindenburgstern disappeared from the Berliner Zeughaus/ Preussische Ruhmeshalle (now Deutsches Historisches Museum) shortly after the end of the second world war and is considered as lost. The only known prototype example of this decoration is today located at the Museum of the United States Military Academy in West Point NY.
With regard to the offered painting by Franz Triebsch: at some point in the turbulent history of Germany, the painting was wrapped around a wooden plank (still visible).

The ‘Hindenburgstern’, the ‘Star of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross’.


- condition : II                       
- size : 102 x 81 cm; unframed 87 x 67 cm
- signed : right, on top (and '1925')
- type : oil on canvas                                    



Franz Triebsch, 'Hindenburg in Black Tie', art print*. Depicted as frontispiece in 'Hindenburg, Das leben eines Deutschen', 1926. 



Franz Triebsch, postcards*. 'Bildnis des Führers' ('Portrait of the Leader'), GDK 1941, room 14.
  


Left: Franz Triebsch, 'Bildnis des Führers' ('Portrait of the Leader'), art print. GDK 1939, room 23.
Right: 'Generalfeldmarschall Von Schlieffen', GDK 1940, room 23. Both paintings are in possession of the US Army Center of Military History (according to US-law they fall within the public domain, including the copyright).
  


Franz Triebsch, postcard, ‘Leonardo da Vinci malt das Abendmahl’ (‘Leonardo da Vinci painting The Last Evening Meal’). GDK 1941, room 15. Bought by Hitler for 23.000 RM. In possession of the Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin.

 

Left: 'Kaiser Wilhelm II', postcard. After a painting by Franz Triebsch.
Right: 'Generalfeldmarshall Von Hindenburg', art print*. After a painting by Franz Triebsch. Depicted in the book 'Hindenburg, Das leben eines Deutschen', 1926.      
 


Left: Franz Triebsch, art print, ‘Generaloberst Von Seeckt’, 1937, room 13.
Right: 'Generalfeldmarschal von Hindenburg', art print. After a painting by Franz Triebsch.
  


Left: Franz Triebsch, ‘Generaloberst von Kessel’, artprint. Displayed at the ‘Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellung’, 1914.
Prussian Generaloberst von Kessel (1846-1918) served as Ajutant GeneraL for Kaiser Wilhelm II during WWI. From 1909 to 1918 Von Kessel headed the Supreme Command of Mark Brandenburg and also served as Governor of Berlin.
Right: Franz Triebsch, 'Mädchen aus Olevano' ('Girl from Olevano'). Displayed at the Grosse Berliner Kunst-Ausstellung 1901.
  


Adolf Hitler visiting the Grosse Deutsche Kunstausstellung 1939. In white uniform: Italian propaganda minister Dino Alfieri, behind Hitler Gerdie Troost. On the background the portrait ‘Die Schwestern’, room 26, by Franz Triebsch.




Franz Triebsch, one of Hitler’s Court Painters
Franz Triebsch (1870–1956) was a German painter born in Berlin. After his studies at the Berliner Academy under Max Koner, he made various trips to Italy and South America. In 1899 he was awarded the ‘Grossen Staatspreis’ and around 1900 he was given the title of professor. In 1910 he built a house in Ahrenshoop (on the German coast near Rostock) were he stayed during the summer. In Ahrenshoop he was connected to the painters H. Eschke, C. Kayser-Eichberg and F. Koch-Gothe. Triebsch was mainly a portrait painter, but occasionally he painted landscapes.
In 1914 he painted Kaiser Wilhelm II von Preusen and in 1922 he created a portrait of Paul von Hindenburg (which was depicted in different versions on numerous postcards in the 1920s). During the Third Reich Franz Triebsch created many portraits of Hitler and other Nazi leaders. Together with Fritz Erler, Conrad Hommel, Heinrich Knirr and Karl Truppe, he was one of the major Court Painters of Hitler. He was given the prestigious Goethe Medal on the day he turned 70, in March 1940.
At the Great German Art Exhibitions Franz Triebsch was represented with eight works (until 1942). Among these were the following: Bildnis des Führers (GDK 1941), Generalritter Von Speck (GDK 1941), Generaloberst Von Seeckt (GDK 1937), Generalfeldmarshall Graf Schlieffen (GDK 1941) and Bildnis des Führers (GDK 1939). The last two paintings, which are shown above, are still in the possession of the U.S. Army Center of Military History in Washington, D.C.
In 1941 Franz Triebsch became completely blind. His studio in Berlin was bombed and destroyed in 1943.

* As also stated in our General Terms and Conditions, German Art Gallery offers the depicted postcards for sale. Allmost all of these postcards are 'Haus der Deutschen Kunst' editions. Prices on request.