Back

August Wilhelm Goebel, Blumenpflückerin

August Wilhelm Goebel, Blumenpflückerin August Wilhelm Goebel, Blumenpflückerin August Wilhelm Goebel, Blumenpflückerin

Select product:

Price:€ 11800.00

Description

August Wilhelm Goebel, 'Blumenpflückerin' ('Donna che coglie Fiori', or 'Woman picking Flowers')  

Displayed in 1943 at the exhibition 'Düsseldorfer Künstler in Florence': the 'Esposizione d'arte contemporanea di Duesseldorf, Firenze 1943’ ('Donna che coglie Fiori'). 
This sculpture is made in lime-wood ('Legno di Tiglio' or 'Lindenholz'). Another copy of Blumenpflückerin, made in oak-wood, was displayed at the GDK 1943. August Wilhlm Goebel worked in bronze, marble and wood (two of his thirteen sculptures, displayed in the GDK, were made of wood). Blumenpflückerin was also executed in porcelain.  

August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Blumenpflückerin‘, executed in porcelain by ‘Ens Porzellan Volkstedt’. Height 34 cm, modelnumber 5194. Signed by August Wilhelm Goebel.



Catalogue of the exhibition 'Düsseldorfer Künstler in Florence': the 'Esposizione d'arte contemporanea di Duesseldorf, Firenze 1943’ ('Donna che coglie Fiori'). 






- condition : II              
- size : 83 cm high, 53 cm width
- signed : at base
- type : lime-wood ('Legno di Tiglio' or 'Lindenholz)                                            
 - misc. : created 1940-1943. Displayed at the exibition Düsseldorfer Künstler in Florence.




Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Sinnen’. GDK 1943, room 17. Original ‘Haus der Kunst’ postcard.
Right: 'Sinnen' depicted in 'Düsseldorfer Künstler im Haus der Deutschen Kunst', 1943.
  


Monastery of Hohenfurt (Vyssi Brod), Czech Republic
At the end of WWII, several stolen art collections -and 46 paintings and 30 statues from Hitler’s private contemporary art collection- were hidden by the National Socialists in the Monastery of Hohenfurt (Vyssi Brod), near Linz in the Czech Republic. After the war, valuable art, such as pieces from the Mannheimer- and Rothschild collections, were confiscated by the U.S. Army and taken to the Munich Central Collection Point in an effort to return them to their original owners. Many less valuable works, like contemporary German Nazi-art works, were left behind after the 1945 liberation of Czechoslovakia and ended up scattered across the country.
'Norne' and 'Sonnenaufgang' by August Wilhelm Goebel were two of the 30 sculptures in the Monastery of Hohenfurt; the works are lost.
In 2012 sixteen paintings by German artists -that Adolf Hitler personally purchased during WWII- were found in various Czech institutions. Seven were discovered in the Zákupy Chateau, the site where items from confiscated castles, chateaus and private houses were gathered after the war. Seven other canvases were found at the convent of Premonstratensian Sisters in Doksany, near Prague. Two paintings were found at the Military Institute in Prague and at the Faculty of Law of Charles University in Prague. All the sixteen paintings are now in the possession of the ‘Czech National Institute for the Protection and Conservation of Monuments and Sites’. They will remain in the Czech Republic.


Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Norne’ (170 cm high), as it was found in 1945 in the Czech Republic (Monastery of Hohenfurt). Originaly displayed at the GDK 1940, room 21. Bought by Hitler for 12,000 RM (photo: 'Hitlerova Sbirka v Cechach', by Jiri Kuchar).
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, 'Sonnenaufgang' ('Sunrise'), also named 'Schauende' ('Perceiving'), as it was found in 1945 in the Czech Republic (Monastery of Hohenfurt). Marble, life size. Originally displayed at the GDK 1939 room 8, bought by Hitler for 9.500 Reichsmark (photo: 'Hitlerova Sbirka v Cechach', by Jiri Kuchar).
  



August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Norne’ in marble, 94 cm high. Displayed at the 'GAU-Ausstellung Westfalen-Süd, VII. Große Sauerländische Ausstellung', Osthaus Museum der Stadt Hagen, 1944. Since 1944 in the possession of the Osthaus Museum, City of Hagen. The photo of 'Norne' in the 1944-exhibition catalogue shows, incorrectly, the large model of 170 cm displayed in the Haus der deutschen Kunst. The same photo was later depicted in 'Künstler und Werke', Richard W. Eichler, 1962. 
  


Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Opferbereit’. GDK 1941, room 22. ‘Haus der Kunst’ postcard.
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Brunnennymphe’. GDK 1939, room 21. Postcard. Bought by Hermann Göring for 6,500 RM (now privately owned). Also depicted in 'Kunst dem Volk', 1939.
  


Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, 'Gudrun' (marble). GDK 1938, room 28. Bought by Hitler for 3.000 RM. Also displayed at the 'Grosse Düsseldorfer Kunstausstellung' in Cologne, 1924. Depicted in ‘Velhagen & Klasings Monatshefte’, Edition 39, 1924. Nowadays in the possession of the Stadtmuseum Düsseldorf. A bronze cast of 'Gudrun' was displayed at the 'Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellung', 1928.  
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Eisenhüttenmann’ (‘Blast-furnace worker’). GDK 1941, room 27.
  

  
August Wilhelm Goebel, 'Wasserschöpferin'. GDK 1944, room 32. Bronze.



August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Allegorien auf die Musen des Gesanges und des Tanzes’ (‘Allegory of the Muse of Singing and Dancing’). Bronze sculpture on the facade of the building of the Malkasten Art Association in Düsseldorf (until the bomb attack of 1943). Height: 110 and 115 cm.
  


Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, 1938. ‘Den Gefallenen Kameraden 1914-1918’ (The Fallen Comrades 1914-1918). Kriegerdenkmal, Hassel (War Memorial in Hassel). In the war memorials created immediately after WWI the main theme was grief and remembering the dead. However, in the National Socialists time war memorials were often used as propaganda and tended to glorify war. In the example below, the strong, muscled warrior’s sword points at the dates 1914-1918. Its face is determined and grim reflecting a desire for revenge.
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, 'Denkmal der Stadt Breyell' ('War Memorial of the City of Breyell').
  


Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Die Zeit’ (‘The Time‘). Displayed at the Grosse Berliner Kunstausstellung 1924.
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel,  ‘Die Arbeit‘ (‘ Labour‘). Displayed at the Grosse Berliner  Kunstausstellung 1924.
  


August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Das Lied’, 1930. Bronze, 63 cm high, sold at Christies, UK, in 2010.



Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, design for a 1926 GeSoLei-plaque. Size: 163x103 mm. Weight:  560 gram.
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, design for the gold medal of the GeSoLei. The ‘Große Ausstellung Düsseldorf 1926 für Gesundheitspflege, soziale Fürsorge und Leibesübungen’ was the largest trade fair in Germany during the Weimar Republic. It attracted 7.5 million visitors. In the possession of the Stadtmuseum Landeshauptstadt Düsseldorf.
   


August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘An der Olympische Feuerschale‘  (‘The Olympic Fire‘), created in bronze. Depicted in ‘Kunstbildhauer August-Wihelm Goebel‘, 1958. Sold by a German auction house in 2012 (from the artist’s estate). Height 50 cm, weight 11 kg. Likely the figure was a proposed monumental sculpture for Berlin Olympic grounds, but never realised.
  



Left: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Pionier Denkmal am Wasserbahnhof‘, Mühlheim. This WWI memorial, honouring the fallen soldiers of the Transport Engeneering Division from the Rheinland and Westfalen, was revealed at 5 september 1937. For this work Goebel was awarded the First Price by the city of Mühlheim.
Right: August Wilhelm Goebel, ‘Gänsebrunnchen’(‘Goose-fountain’), Nordpark-Düsseldorf. Created in lime-stone. Date of creation unknown.
  




August Wilhelm Goebel, depicted in ‘Künstler und  Werke’, Richard W. Eichler, 1962.





AugustWilhelm Goebel
August Wilhelm Goebel (1883 - ?), born in Wiesbaden, was a German sculptor who studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Frankfurt am Main under professor Hausmann; later he went to the art academies in Düsseldorf ('Meisterschüler' of professor Karl Janssen), Berlin and Munich. During his study Goebel won the first price of the City of Düsseldorf for a War Memorial; later he also created war Memorials for the cities Breyell (1930) and Düsseldorf-Hassel (1938). At 5 september 1937 Goebels ‘Pionier Denkmal am Wasserbahnhof‘ in  Mühlheim was revealed; for this WWI memorial, honouring the fallen soldiers of the Transport Engeneering Division from the Rheinland and Westfalen, Goebel was awarded the First Price by the city of Mühlheim.
After his education Goebel, who worked in bronze, marble and wood, lived and worked (mainly) in Düsseldorf. Together with artists like Ernst Barlach, Arthur Storch, Richard Scheibe and Paul Scheurich he worked for a certain period for the famous porcelain manufacturer 'Schwarzburger Werkstätten für Porzellankunst' in Thüringen. In 1924 he took part in the Great Berlin Art Exhibition where he displayed the two bronze figures ‘Die Arbeit’ and ‘Die Zeit’ ('Labor' and 'Time'); a year later he created two sculptures in National Socialist style. Because he made these NS-sculptures and publicly expressed sympathy for Hitler at that time, he was banned -for a certain period of time- from receiving public commissions. Goebel created in 1926 the relief ’Der Tanz’ (‘The Dance’) for the City of Düsseldorf. In the same year he designed the gold medail (and other plaques) for the GeSoLei, the ‘Große Ausstellung Düsseldorf 1926 für Gesundheitspflege, soziale Fürsorge und Leibesübungen’. This was the largest trade fair in Germany during the Weimar Republic, it attracted 7.5 million visitors. In 1928 Goebel created the portal-figures from the Tax-Office of the Village Neuwied.
In 1928 he became a member of the paramilitary organization 'Der Stahlhelm'; Goebel was also an early member of the NSDAP. In the early ‘Kampfzeit’ (battle time) of the NSDAP he donated the small amount of capital that he had. From 1933 onwards he was a member of the SA and in 1941 he had the ranking of SA-Obersharführer (Senior Squad Leader). August Wilhelm Goebel fought on several front lines. 
In 1936 Goebel took part in the 'Düsseldorf Exhibition Schaffendes Volk' where he displayed a monumental iron sculpture. He created the ‘Allegorien auf die Musen des Gesanges und des Tanzes’ (‘Allegory of the Muse of Singing and Dancing’), four bronze sculptures adorning the facade of the building of the ‘Malkasten Art Association’ in Düsseldorf (until the bomb attack of 1943); also he created a fountain sculpture fort he City of Velbert.
Minister of Culture Bernard Rust recommended Goebel for a Professor title just before WWII; because there were no vacancies, the attempt failed. In 1941 SA Stabchef Viktor Lutze recommended Goebel for the second time for the Professor title, again without result.
Goebel took part in the Düsseldorfer Art Exhibitions held in the 'Kunsthalle' in 1925, 1935, 1942 and 1944. In 1943 he participated in the exhibition 'Düsseldorfer Künstler in Florence' (‘Esposizione d'arte contemporanea di Duesseldorf, Firenze 1943’). Until 1933 Goebel was Chairman of the ‘Algemeine Deutsche Kunstgenossenschaft‘ and until at least 1970 member of the Düsseldorfer ‘Künstlerverein Malkasten‘.
August Wilhelm Goebel had 13 sculptures displayed at the Great German Art Exhibitions. Adolf Hitler bought three of his works (‘Gudrun’, ‘Sonnenaufgang’ and ‘Norne’), Hermann Göring bought ‘Brunnennymphe’. At least two life size GDK- sculptures by August Wilhelm Goebel still exist and are in private hands.
In 1962 Goebel moved from Düsseldorf to Neuwied. His year of death is unknown.
Since 1944 Goebels ‘Norne’ is in the possession of the Osthaus Museum, City of Hagen. Likely ‘Gudrun’ is still in the possesion of the ‘Städtische Kunstsammlungen zu Düsseldorf’ (now: ‘Museum Kunstpalast’, Düsseldorf). The Stadtmuseum Landeshauptstadt Düsseldorf still owes a golden GeSoLei-plaque by Goebel.